Pages

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Rainy Walk in Alameda



For those of you who know me well, you know that health and exercise are top priorities in my life. But having said that, I've never been a "gym person." To me, there is something unnatural about running inside on a treadmill, especially when I live in such a beautiful location right next to a lovely park and a gorgeous beach. So for me, instead of feeling like a hamster in a wheel, I get the majority of my exercise outside in the form of jogs and power walks along Alameda Beach.

Now this does sometimes present a problem in the winter when the weather is rainy, cold, and unforgiving. This weekend was a perfect example. I had to work on Saturday for my 2nd job with Oakland Teaching Fellows, and by the time I got home around 3pm I was in need of a good workout to release my stress. The thunderstorms were hit-and-miss most of the day, so I took my chances to go out for a jog in what seemed to be a temporary period of sunshine and clearing. But no sooner than I rounded the bend of my court onto 8th street, the sky opened up and started down pouring! I made a mad dash to another apartment complex on the corner and huddled under a stairwell for a moment while the heavens let loose. Luckily it was a short-lived spurt of rain, and just as quickly as that dark cloud covered the sky above me, it was gone and replaced by sunshine....along with a gorgeous rainbow! I then continued on my walk/jog, impressed by Mother Nature, and spared from the rain for the remainder of my workout.

While I wasn't able to capture the rainbow on camera, I did take a couple shots of the local scenery in my court. These intriguing, beautiful ferns and refreshing waterfall fountain are located just a stones-throw from my home on Shorepoint Court. Even though the rain can be disruptive at times, it does cleanse the air and allow our local vegetation to flourish! Enjoy the rainy day everyone. : )

No comments: